Monday, August 20, 2012

Summer is a lot like Stewardship (huh?)



Summer is a lot like stewardship (huh?)

            It’s already the middle of June and the Fourth of July (and General Convention) is only a few weeks away. Summer is flying by and it hasn’t even started yet. What ever happened to the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer, when everything shut down, everyone went away, nobody scheduled meetings, and you had time to get to long neglected projects?
Every year I have wildly unrealistic expectations of what I want to do – house and garden projects, getting together with friends, picnics and barbecues, day trips, going to the beach, relaxing, and just staring into space. Ironically, in my frenzy of planning I unwittingly limit the possibilities for summer, by not leaving room for spontaneity.  And before I know it, it’s Labor Day, I’m still exhausted, and all of my planning seems to have been for naught because I could never have gotten everything done anyhow. 
 
        Why do I get myself into this annual cycle of making plans I can never keep? When did summer become just another hectic time of year instead of a time of rest and refreshment? Am I the only one with this problem, or is this a wider phenomenon? 
           I know I have to slow down and let summer happen – come what may. Rather than try to control it, measure it, or shape it to meet my own needs, I need to relax, unwind and be open to the wonder of the season.
         Which brings me to how summer is a lot like stewardship. We often do everything we can to narrowly define and limit our roles and responsibilities as stewards of God’s creation. After all, we can only do so much with what we have and what we are given.  And like summer, isn’t stewardship season really only three short months? 
         Why do we put ourselves in boxes when it comes to summer and stewardship? Instead, we need to let God take control of our lives and help us become the faithful and generous people we are called to be – without boundaries, limits or reservations. 
          Like the seasons of the church year, the seasons of the calendar year provide unique opportunities to focus our energies on new ways of looking at our lives and new ways of doing things. Instead of being a quick and rushed three months, summer should be a time of abundance of daylight, sunshine, heat, humidity, and zucchini from the garden. We need to recognize, embrace, and celebrate that abundance. Then, just like other times in the year, we need to let go and continue our faithful journeys.


A bountiful summer to all! 

TENS 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment